When a Workflow is built, an instance of it is started to manage a specific process instance. For example, if you’re running a “Vacation Request Approval” Workflow, one instance would be started for each vacation request.
Instances are started manually or with a trigger. Once an instance is started, all of the task actions and in the instance are listed on the instance details page, including automated tasks or tasks assigned to other users or groups. All the tasks are organized chronologically.
On an instance detail page, you can see a summary of the instance, with the owner, date started, and a progress overview at the top that shows the number of tasks done, percent complete, number of active tasks, and number of completed tasks—with a progress bar showing the percent complete.
Select a completed or upcoming task to see details about the task, or select an in progress task that’s assigned to you and complete the work from this page.
💡Tip: You can comment on an instance to interact with other members of your team, ask a question, or cheer on a Workflow!
Pushbot instances can be started manually or with a trigger. Not all Workflow’s can be started manually, but if it can, manually triggering a Workflow is simple and done from the Workflow’s details page.
- Select Workflows from the top navigation bar
- Choose a Workflow to start, this will open the Workflow detail page
- Complete all fields, as necessary
- Name: Default is the instance name and a timestamp.
- Deadline: This is a deadline for the entire instance and is not required.
- Owner: The default owner is whoever starts the instance, but some Workflow’s may be contingent on the owner being a specific user; if you’re unsure, check with the Workflow creator.
- Workflow level fields (if applicable): Workflow level fields are special fields sometimes added to the start an instance screen and may be required to start an instance.
💡Tip: If you cannot find the Workflow you would like to start, it is likely due to one of the following:
- You do not have permission to view or edit that Workflow
- The Workflow cannot be started manually and is only started via an automatic trigger.
- Find and select from the latest instances you’re involved in from the instance section of your home screen
- Find and select an instance from a task by opening a task, and selecting the instance name above the task title
- Find and select from all instances for a specific Workflow from the Workflow detail page
- Search for an instance by selecting on the top right of any page
If there’s an issue with a process, instances can be ended manually. Never design processes to need to be manually ended—it should only be used if a process becomes stuck or was started accidentally.
- Click the button from the top navigation bar, and select Instances from the menu.
- Browse and select the instance you wish to end. Adjust the filters to Status is in progress to narrow down the instances.
- Select the in the top right and select End Instance. Select OK.
When you’re viewing an instance, you can quickly jump to editing that Workflow from the instance detail page. When viewing an instance:
- Select the button in the top right.
- Select “Open in Builder”.