Use this action to send a message to a Slack channel or user from a Workflow.
To post to a private Slack channel, invite the Catalytic app to the channel first. The app can only post to channels it is a member of.
- Invite the app by entering the command
/invite @Catalyticinto the private channel chat. This command is only visible to you.
- Or send the app an invite manually by opening the channel, and selecting the Channel Settings gear icon. See Add people to a channel from Slack’s Help Center for more details.
- Introduce new hires to the team with an automated channel wide message.
- Provide company update notices within specific Slack channels with dynamic updates.
How to configure this action
This action requires a preconfigured Slack integration. For more information on integrating Catalytic with other systems, refer to the Slack integration setup guide.
If you test a Workflow with this task, any real Slack recipients will receive the message. You must manually adjust the recipient during testing to a dummy account or your own Slack account so actual recipients aren’t messaged during the test. After testing, change it to the intended recipient.
- Select your Slack integration from the options. These are your team’s integration accounts
- Use either @username, #channel, or a field reference
- Messages can only be sent to individual recipients
- The text of the Slack message, using text or reference fields
- To customize your message with URLs, formatting, or emoji, follow Slack’s Message Formatting documentation. Slack users a syntax very similar to Markdown.
The output of the action is a new message posted to Slack. The action will also return an output field with the status of the action.
If something’s not working as expected, or you’re looking for suggestions, check through the options below.
If your team has a Slack integration enabled and you receive this error, you need to link your team’s Slack integration to your Catalytic account.
Users must link the Slack integration to their user profile to trigger a Workflow via Slack. Currently, the fastest way to do this is to navigate directly to the following URL:
<team-name> is your team’s name. Select your Slack integration from the dialog that appears.
Users can only be associated with a single Catalytic team. If you have accounts on multiple teams, be sure to only link a single account.
Thanks for your feedback
We update the Help Center daily, so expect changes soon.
Paste this URL anywhere to link straight to the section.