Use this action to update the name or extension of an existing file without changing the file type.
When using this action, know that changing a file’s extension does not change the file type. For example, a word document renamed from
contract.txt is still a word document, not a text file. Or how renaming
contract.jpg changes the extension, but does not actually change the word document file to a jpeg file.
This action is useful for renaming files with dynamic names based on each instance, for example:
- Rename incoming files to include the current date.
- Rename a client contract with the client’s company information before sending it to a signer.
- Use this action in a file upload process to rename files with the correct naming conventions before uploading.
A file must exist prior to this action, either uploaded into a previous field or Instance Field.
- Identify the name of the previously uploaded file or use a reference field.
- Enter a new name of the file. Do not include the file extension. The maximum name length including the extension is 255 characters.
- Leave blank to leave the name unchanged.
- Enter a new extension for the file. Leave blank to leave the extension unchanged.
Enter ‘NONE’ to remove the extension from the file
💡 Tip: Changing the extension does not change the file type or convert the file content.
- The name of the field in which the renamed file should be saved
This action outputs the renamed file. The name of the output field will be the Output field name defined during configuration.
Thanks for your feedback
We update the Help Center daily, so expect changes soon.
Paste this URL anywhere to link straight to the section.